Church of the Blessed Redeemer's
Guidelines for In-Person Worship
Guidelines for In-Person Worship
- If you are feeling sick or unwell, please stay home.
- We are setting our attendance limit at 50 people, based on diocesan guidelines.
- We will be doing temperature checks at the front door before worshipers enter the church. If you have an elevated temperature, we will ask to worship from home via Zoom instead of in person.
- We are requiring all in attendance to wear face masks to decrease the spread of germs to others when speaking or singing. We are asking those attending to bring their own face masks, however disposable masks will be provided for those who don’t have one or who forget. We recognize that face masks can be uncomfortable and suggest that if this may be a problem for you that you may want to consider staying home at this time.
- We will be keeping track of everyone who attends worship in person with an attendance list when people arrive for worship. This will be used for the purpose of contact tracing in the event that someone in attendance should later test positive for Covid-19.
- Because our church building is only being used on Sundays, the Vestry has decided it is unnecessary to do a deep cleaning of the building each week. However, general cleaning will take place by our cleaning crew each Friday and all common-touch surfaces and restrooms will be regularly sanitized.
- Hand sanitizer will be available to use at the church, and we also encourage everyone to regularly wash their hands with hot water and soap for at least 20 seconds, especially after using the bathroom.
- We will practice social and physical distancing in the church with special seating arrangements including marked areas for sitting in the pews and the use of chairs. Couples and families will be allowed to sit together.
- We are discouraging one-on-one or group fellowship in the building before or after the service. There will be no “coffee hour” time or food or drinks served after the service. Any fellowship before or after the service can take place outdoors.
- All prayer books, hymnals, and other songbooks have been removed from the pews to reduce the spread of germs. You are welcome to bring a personal prayer book, hymnal, or Bible if you would like, however we will be providing bulletins that will include everything needed for worship.
- To reduce the spread of the virus through singing, the Choir will not be singing as a group during this time. Our worship will still include hymns and service music, but we will encourage those in person to hum along or sing quietly.
- We will not be offering individual prayers at the altar or laying on of hands at this time as we reopen. If you have any special prayer requests, please call or speak with Fr. Brian or Deacon Brenda, and arrangements will be made to offer prayers outdoors after worship.
- There will be no handshakes, hugs, or touching during the Peace, however waves, bows, namaste/wai greetings, or peace signs are fine.
- We will not be passing offering bags during the Offertory portion of the service, however there will be an offering box near the entrance to the sanctuary that you are encouraged to place your offering envelope into when you enter or leave the worship service.
- While we will be celebrating the Holy Eucharist, only wafers will be distributed for communion. We will be using a standing communion station in front of the altar platform, with wafers being placed in each individual’s hands as they come forward one-by-one. Wine will not be served at this time.
- Spiritual Communion: For those worshiping from home via Zoom, we will use the following prayer for “Spiritual Communion”: Jesus Christ, I believe that you are truly present in the Holy Sacrament, and, since I cannot at this time receive communion, I pray you to come into my heart. I unite myself with you and embrace you with all my heart, my soul, and my mind. Let nothing separate me from you; let me serve you in this life until, by your grace, I come to your glorious kingdom and unending peace. Amen.
- At the end of the service, worshipers will be invited to leave one by one to encourage continued social distancing on the way out of the church.
- We are also using Zoom to share our worship with those at home while we are opened for in-person worship. As a reminder, the Zoom phone number is 646-558-8565, the Meeting ID is 847-4719-9430, and Passcode is 962483.
- Those who assist in our worship as readers or prayer leaders need not be present in person to participate in worship, but will be able to continue to read via Zoom.
- For those worshiping from home, we will be offering “Drive-Thru Communion,” where you can drive to the church after the worship service has ended to receive a consecrated wafer from the clergy from the comfort and safety of your vehicle. This will take place from 10:30-11 a.m. on Sunday mornings.
- If any special needs arise or you would like to meet with the clergy, Fr. Brian and Deacon Brenda are always available by phone (or email), but may also be able to schedule an in-person meeting with appropriate health and safety precautions in place. Fr. Brian Turner can be reached by cell phone at 614-432-5759, and Deacon Brenda Taylor can be reached by cell phone at 321-419-4117.